Lowrie Elementary School
Dual Language Kindergarten Teacher
Number of Years Teaching:
Different Grades that you have taught:
I have taught Kindergarten for 15 years. I taught Full Day Kindergarten intervention program for 12 years; a program designed to support academically the lowest 20% of students when the district just had half day kindergarten. Now the district offers full day kindergarten for all.
How did you know that you wanted to teach early learners:
I have known I was going to be an Early Childhood teacher since I was young, I have always loved working with kids and began volunteered to help in kindergarten classes since I was high school. My Math teacher was my inspiration and support. She showed me that teachers have the power to encourage, discourage and shape the young minds of their students. They have the opportunity to help their students reach their greatest potential.
What are a few “non-negotiables” of your early learning classroom (kinda your educational philosophy)?:
- Create a positive classroom community
- Follow the aligned Illinois Early Learning Standards for Kindergarten with the U-46 Roadmaps for Literacy and Math, and with the instructional materials
- A balanced and predictable daily schedule. Visual schedule posted.
- A balance of teacher-directed and child-initiated activities
- Accommodates play-based learning across all content areas: Literacy centers, Math Centers and Free Choice Centers.
- Whole group and small group balance through the day.
What is something that you want us to know about you as a teacher of young children?:
In my experience as a Kindergarten teacher is important to sets a positive tone of the classroom, shares personal stories to make connections, provides a safe, friendly and supportive place, recognizes and values students’ needs and treats students with dignity and respect. Create a classroom community that promotes the social and emotional development of students is the beginning of the students success. Being a child’s advocate and helping them realize their own potential is my greatest joy in teaching.
Anything else you would like your viewers to know?:
The classroom set up for early learners is crucial. The classroom will provide opportunities for experimentation, exploration, discovery, challenge, and interaction through a safe, caring and supportive environment. "I hear and I forget. I see and I remember. I do and I understand." -Confucius